Bianca Sanon - 2007 Jr. State Closed Blog

Player Name: Bianca Sanon (Girls 16s)
Blogging From: Jr. State Closed, Florida Tennis Center, Daytona Beach.

Tuesday, June 13, 2007

Today was pretty harsh. I was really expecting to go all the way this year; but you win some, you lose some. My semifinal match was scheduled at 10:30 against Brittany Borsani (sorry if I spelled it wrong Brittany!). I woke up at around 7 and had breakfast at 8. Alex Cercone and her mom saw me sitting by myself and decided to eat with me (Just for the record, my dad was in the computer room. I did not want and do not like to eat alone.) We talked a lot so my dad had to come and get me so I can get ready to warm up with Jaime Yapp-Shing again.

There were a lot more people warming up today at the courts then the last few days. We only had to wait a couple of minutes for an open court, though, so it was okay. We saw Kara Cecil, Kelly Kambourelis and a bunch of other people there warming up for their next match. Jaime and I had to share our court with Ross Dubins and Billy Federhofer, but only for a short time. We ended our warm up at 9:45 and left for the site.

I found Alex Cercone again and we hung out a little bit before my match. Alex did really well in the tournament, considering she has a stress fracture and had to play with a one hander the whole tournament. She gave me a mini pep talk before my match and it helped me relax a little. I was kind of nervous because I had never gone this far in the State Closed before and I wanted to leave with the whole thing.

Our match was really stressful. Brittany played the best she’s ever played against me and she was ready to win. The first set was 6-4, but it felt like it went by really fast. She was playing so well the whole time I had trouble deciding what to do against her. The second set was a little better until I got up 4-3. Normally, people would think that is a good situation to be in. Unless you pop all 3 of your strings and you have no other rackets in your bag. That was my problem. Alex went to go tell my mom, who went to go tell my dad, that I had no more rackets. The official told me I had to play with a POPPED STRING until I could get another racket. Some luck I had. Of course I couldn’t do anything about it, and it’s really hard to play against someone who’s playing their best when you have a popped string. It wasn’t until 4-4 that I got my rackets back. By then it was too late because she had gotten her momentum back and won the second 6-4.

I’m not going to lie: I was really upset that I lost. I know I shouldn’t have been because she played a lot better than I did and that I’ll have more chances next time, but it still bothered me that I lost. Mostly because I felt like I had my chance this year to win, and I felt like I was ready to. I didn’t play that well, but I wont take away the credit that Brittany deserves because she played really well and there was nothing I could do about it. I appreciated my friends coming to make me feel better after I lost.

I still have the 3rd and 4th to play tomorrow at 9:30. Unfortunately, I have to play Jaime Yapp-Shing. We’ve known each other since we played the 10s and I hate having to play my good friends, although I’ve already had to play a couple of friends during this tournament. I know our match is going to be good and I know we’ll stay friends no matter of the outcome of our match.

I did have a lot of fun this tournament and I know there’s always next year. I always look forward to coming to States so after tomorrow I’ll have to wait another year. I appreciate everything the officials have done for the players out here, since it’s been a long tournament and it’s been really hot. Thanks again to Andy Gladstone, Bobby Curtis, and everyone at the tournament desk for doing their best to make sure everything was in order and on time. This is probably going to be my last blog entry, since I’m leaving right after my match tomorrow, so good luck to everyone at their next tournament and see you next year!

- bianca :]

Monday, June 11, 2007

Well today was a really long day. I woke up at 8:30 today, since I had a match at 1. I ate breakfast and was out on the court warming up by 11. I warmed up with Keri Frankenberger and Jaime Yapp-shing until about 11:45 when Ashley Moore showed up. We hung out at the courts for 15 minutes until we all had to leave to get ready for our Round 16 matches.       

When I got to the site it was REALLY hot. I was sweating even before I started playing my match. My friends and I were hanging out and talking instead of stressing out over our next match.

My match today was probably the toughest out of the three I’ve played so far. I played Monica Puig for the fourth time. The first 2 times we played I won but last time I lost in 3 so I knew it was going to be a good match. I was playing really well in the first set and I won 6-0. In the second, the points were a lot longer and harder to win. She ended up playing well so she won the 2nd 6-3.

At 1-1 my-ad in the 3rd, we had a rain delay (typical situation at the state closed). The storm was so bad that my parents decided it was best to go back to the hotel. We stopped play at about 3 so we went to get lunch. When we were at Subway, the storm got so bad; the electricity went off, only for about a second though. I stayed in my hotel room for a couple of hours and took a nap. When it was almost 5 we went back to the site.

As bad as it sounds, my favorite part of the day was when all our friends were talking and telling stories before going on court. Ashley Moore, Jessica Linero, Erin Colton, Keri Frankenberger, Alex Cercone and I were all standing in front of the tournament desk, cracking up really loudly and just telling the funniest stories we could think of. Ashley and Jessi did most of the story-telling, since that’s usually what they do at tournaments.

At 6 Monica and I went back on court. The third set was really intense and really tight. The points were even longer and harder to win, but I played a lot better than in the second set, so I was leading the whole time. A lot of people were watching, but I didn’t get nervous. The last game made everyone nervous, but I pulled it out and won 6-4 in the third. Most of my friends were out there supporting me, since the others were all on court playing.

Today was really fun and I’m so happy that I made it to the quarters. Tomorrow I have to play Carolyn Chupa and she’s been playing well lately, so I better be ready. I’m going to go eat dinner now, so wish me the best for tomorrow!


Sunday, June 10, 2007

So today was the first day at States and I have been really looking forward to it. I’ve been waiting for states to come since last year and I never would have expected coming in the 1 seed. I’ve been working really hard for this so I hope I do well. I was kind of nervous at first because being the 1 seed is a lot of pressure. Once I got over the idea of having pressure on me, I was ready to come out and do my best.

I woke up early this morning, around 6:00, and was at breakfast at 6:30. I warmed up, took a shower, and got ready to leave for my match at about 8:30. Once I arrived to the site my excitement turned to anxiousness. I wanted to go out there and just play well. At 9:00 I went up to the pro shop and found a few of my friends there. We played cards until I had to go back downstairs to check in. I ran into a bunch of people that I haven’t seen in a while, which is another reason I love playing this tournament. My first match was against Alexandra Alford. I could’ve played better but for the most part it was a pretty good match. I won 6-2, 6-4 and we ended at around 11:15.

After my match, I just spent some time watching people play matches and finding friends I haven’t seen for a few months. My friends and I watched a few matches and ate a lot of snow cones. Hopefully we’ll all see each other a lot during the tournament because I missed them. I went back to the hotel at around 2 and pretty much relaxed. I watched a couple movies, ate, and slept.

Even though the first day is pretty much over, I still have a lot more matches to watch and play and a lot more people to see. 

It was really fun and I’m happy we only have one match a day (if we stay in the main draw). I’m hoping tomorrow will be even better than today!